Untitled Document
 
 
MegaMenu MK2
  • Mega Menu
  • Home
  • Introductions
  • Links
 

Boba Fett/Mandalorian Helmet and Armour Build

After completing my card stock stormtrooper helmet I found myself looking at it and deciding that I needed to perfect my pepakura building and also measuring skills. To that end I put down my trooper helmet and armour project for the time being and decided to tackle a relatively easier pep build in the form of a Boba Fett build ( I say easier but I have since found that this was not to be the case)

In order to start off I located a couple of possible pep build files in the various forums and eventually settled on the fierfek Boba helmet. It turned out to be a much easier build than that of the stormtrooper helmet with much less tiny bends and curves. After completing the 3D cardstock build I took a moment to consider my next steps. Eventually I decided that I would rather build a non-modified Boba mandalorian helmet as this would allow me to eventually stylize it in any way I saw fit be it Boba or my own take on a mandalorian warrior.

I once again went back to searching the forums for a suitable jumping off point. Eventually I located a file in the facebook group - pepkura library, which offered exactly what I wanted which was a undented mandalorian helmet that also did not have the side ears incorporated into its main structure and therefore gave a completely blank canvas to work with.

After building the main bucket I found that I was not liking the separate ears that were to go with the main bucket and as such I made use of the excellent stencil in the dented helmet template area and that of Rafal Works who along with other dented helmet forum members has made exceptional design blueprints for the entire Boba/mandalorian outfit.

After building all the separate pieces for the helmet I found that each area required slight modification in order for it all to gel together. The ears needed pieces added to them to fit into the helmet and the helmet its self was slightly pointy at one side (though this is more likely down to my initial bad building of the dome).
You can see my progress via the images opposite and hopefully these will better show my progress.

Update for 2016/17 work

Mid 2016 I started using plasti card along with my new Silhouette Cameo cutting machine. This machine allowed mw to quickly cut and build up my first plasti-card built helmet using the stencils found on thedentedhelmet.com website.

Once I had completed the full helmet built I started to build up the smooth able areas using High rise spray paint and wall joint mix to fill in a few gaps especially on the helmet dome.

Once I was happy at how smooth I had managed to get the helmet template I the created a silicone mold and a Jesmonite hard jacket. To keep the silicone mold in shape.

With the mold and jacket completed I was able to create a slush cast version of my helmet and then the painting could begin in earnest. I had decided that I wanted to be my own personal Madolorian so there is no dent in my helmet and I am really happy how the paint design has come out.

The visor is actually really simple in that I found 3 sheets of coloured see through plastic sheets (red, green and blue) and simply laid the three sheets over each other. When I look through the visor the world turns an orange tint and you can’t see my eyes so once again I was really happy.

I have also created a stock and range finder option as well that actually contains electronics and flashing LEDs that work great too. The first design is slightly too small and is something I will be revisiting to improve the size but once again like the helmet after being designed in plasti-card I am very happy with it.

Initial Mandalorian Armour 2017

After my great successes with the helmet using the dentedhemet.com stencils I have started building up the rest of my armour using plasti-card once again.  After creating a few bits I decided to look into the “trash bin” armour option as my plasti-card initial forms just were not achieving the correct roundness and look. To this end I “liberated” a standard small rubbish bin from my work place that was getting thrown out. Transferring the stencil to the bin was extremely easy and once dremeling the stencil out the armour was fantastic.

The plastic I found was a little too heavy  so I decided to create full jesmonite molds of the armour and using my vacuum forming machine with a slight modification part attached to it I have been able to create 2mm thick armour plates for my chest and abdomen.

I then started the painting process. I undercoated the plastic with white then used a metallic silver paint over it to give the impression of the piece being metal. On top of this I masked off the a few spots using painted masking fluid and then placed a top layer of black to match my helmets paint design.

Much like my helmet I am extremely pleased at how this has turned out and I have started forging on with other parts of the armour. I have successfully created a standard should design and a mold for this but after this I then bought my first 3D printer and I intended to try and finish off the next few parts using the printer.

 

Untitled Document




Site Editor : Shadowmultimedia
Last Update : 2015
This is a Shadowmultimedia designed and operated site
This web site is intended for educational purposes. The pepakura files found here have not been created by myself although I have
altered some of them slightly in regards to size and layout if the size did not suit me personally.
In addition these files have been located via simple google searches and various facebook groups and can easily
be found by anyone via google or one of the various prop making forums out there.